Wednesday, September 3, 2014

flotsam and jetsam


in which our plucky heroine enjoys the random gifts of the universe...


This morning I heard a repeating clank in the middle of Lombard as traffic was passing... when there was a lull, instead of the expected piece of scrap metal, I found this excellent 10" crescent wrench. Ground score!! (apparently there is an actual "Crescent" company that makes wrenches, I didn't know that - the other side of the handle says "10 in Crescent® USA") Since I am not a lady who lunches but a wench who wrenches, this is quite a welcome addition to my collection.
:::


In addition, sometime in June I started covering parts of the backyard with layered cardboard and woodchip mulch (because grass is stupid unless you have a reason for it, and I want a veggie garden and fruit and hens, not a lawn that needs mowed)... This weekend we noticed that sometime between June and now, this feral grapevine began to grow smackdab in the middle of the yard.

It looks quite healthy, and would be a welcome addition to the landscape, just not right where it is, said space being intended for vegetable garden. Will be a challenge to figure out a good place to plant it, where it will be happy and will also be useful. I suspect it wants a sunny spot, and something strong to climb up and along.

Current idea is to get it into a large pot for now, my two ideas so far are for either somehow trellis it along the south side of the front porch, or near the little pear tree, with a trellis arch or arbor that creates an entry to the backyard. (If the stupid deck were not in the yard, it would might do well used to shade the east window, but removing the deck is not happening soon) I shall consult my British fruit books, and my master gardener pal, and come up with a plan...
:::

Today was my second meeting with my new counselor, and we are slowly edging closer to a workable relationship, I hope... I was quite fond of my former counselor R, who shared my metaphorical approach to life; it will be interesting to work with a different set of skills and outlook. On the way home, had an interesting insight: given that my core ground disfunctional lens is "being unwanted", this has an obvious connection to my economic issues. And to my difficulty in self promotion and my fear and immobility about new teaching venues. Writing this down because I have a sense this is important - if I can sort this out, it won't be me holding myself back from the life I want, but the ordinary challenges that everyone faces...
:::

Today I am grateful for paying attention - to the difference in the outer world that signals useful salvage, and to the difference in the internal world that signals here be there dragons to tame or slay...

may this gratitude contradict despair...



1 comment:

  1. what good fortune to retrieve a wrench from the street! it was meant to be yours!

    ReplyDelete