Thursday, August 28, 2014

seashore snippets


in which our plucky heroine visits the coast for the first time in several years...

the view out the windows in the morning...

down the hill to the beach, drifts of crocosmia have naturalised in the open spaces and along the verge

After clambering down from the end of road across some rocks, there was still quite a bit of beachfront to traverse
.
I find the patterns left by the waves to be endlessly fascinating

proof positive that our plucky heroine made it all the way to the Pacific Ocean

Look between the beach boulders to the open ocean beyond; when we first arrived this area was entirely underwater, the second morning the tide was far enough out that this channel between the rocks was visible...

There were good reasons besides sensible caution to not walk the narrow channel between the rocks...Sea anemones almost as big as my hands! they are so very turquoise green!!

waterlife clings to the rocks, not as a parable, but just as itself

I am congenitally incapable of not picking up rocks at the beach. There are agates and jasper, and all sorts of other fascinating treasures. My old denim pinafore soon resembled a child's garment: pockets stuffed with pebbles and shell fragments...

the sun sets through the oncoming fog bank as we say goodnight to a day of rare delight...

:::

I am grateful for coastal breezes that are a respite from the August heat, for the scent of ocean air and the sound of wavesong, and the chance to ramble about beachcombing. Am grateful the body still allows me to go out and about, up and downhill, and to still climb over small rockpiles (also grateful for the generosity that made this possible)
may this gratitude contradict despair...

2 comments:

  1. Isn't the smell of the salt and the seaweed just the best smell? I think of all the scents, I would miss that one the most if I ever left the lower mainland...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the scent of being at the seashore, and even though to visit the coast is a very rare treat for me, I am certain I would love it still even if I were there every day... You are fortunate if that is part of your daily life

      Delete