Sunday, June 15, 2014

Saturday and Sunday snippets


in which our plucky heroine makes assorted progress in a generally forward direction...

Yesterday when I swept off the front porch, saw the most tiny little nigella growing in one of the planter pots. Seriously, the entire plant was miniature, about the size of a normal nigella blossom!
:::

I used “knitters graph paper” to draw out a design for a two color pattern, (since I read that just using regular graph paper would distort the design)well apparently my stitches are not normal! My design which looked so nice on the knitters graph paper, is now really attenuated... after checking my actual gauge, my stitches are a little bit taller than they are wide, which is why I got such unexpected results, the graph paper is meant for the stitch proportions of ordinary knitting, not stranded colorwork.
:::

As I gradually put things away and slowly declutter, that I am finding some of the various things that have been misplaced over time. Most recently, the missing Kelly Kettle turned up, for some unknown reason, on the windowsill in the small bedroom?!? The Kelly Kettle is a powerful little hot water generator, and uses just small scraps of dried biomass. It heats water to boiling very very fast...
:::

...just spent a chunk of time looking at photos over on the Portable Antiquities Scheme website (which documents archaeological objects found by members of the public in England and Wales) just found a whole lot more of the little Anglo-Saxon cloisonne enamels I am so currently obsessed with... must make some, soon!! I am collecting the images over on Pinterest
:::

Today was Crafternoon, and though attendance was sparse, that did allow for what turned out to be two very different delightful individual visits. And there was homebaked cake. I am still amused that these vintage jello molds not only work well as cake tins, but that they have my SCA badge on them (rather hard to see here, but it is an acorn between two oak leaves; here is a better picture of a different cake). The recipe* I use makes a pretty plain cake, and while it would definitely be improved with a little jam and whipped cream, it is pretty tasty just as is...

Early in the day, Z came over, which gave us a chance to talk enameling, and also a chance for me to hear about some fascinating travel options on the Oregon Coast. She is eager to do more enamels, interpreting some of her gorgeous photo images in a very different medium. Later in the day, U came over and we worked on some of the sewing for her elevation to the Order of the Laurel next month. Marya and I are making the green silk under-dress, and so today was partially about making certain that the upper bodice and neckline fit well, and starting to sort out the sleeves. I pretty much never wear 12thC clothing, so this is all a bit of a learning experience for me. Fortunately, fabric doesn't scare me, even delicate thin shot silk...
:::

June SMART goal challenge
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 thread-winders SR silver chain  backyard yardwaste
2 red rose
heart pendant
backyard meadow
mowed
bag to paper recycling
3 red rose earrings half craftwall
organised
bag to paper recycling
4 2nd sports bra sleeve bands
on green gown
bag to paper recycling
5 duvet cover SPQR pendant
setting
metal scrap to recycling
6 * * bag to Goodwill
7 * * bag to Goodwill
8 * * paper recycling
9 * * *
10 ---------- * *
11 ---------- * *
12 ---------- * *
13 ---------- * *
14 ---------- ---------- *
15 ---------- ---------- *
16 ---------- ---------- *
17 ---------- ---------- *
18 ---------- ---------- *
:::

* for those who might be interested, here the recipe I use, this time I made the plain cake, but as mentioned it can be lemon poppyseed, or mocha, or pretty much whatever variations are pleasing. Pound cake is useful that way...

No comments:

Post a Comment