Friday, June 13, 2014

read the small print...


in which our plucky heroine discovers that she had been doing it wrong all along...

For some reason, yesterday morning while taking my tiny thyroid pill, I looked at the bottle and saw that there was a new tiny warning label, along with the "take with plenty of water": it said "do not eat anything containing iron or calcium afterwards" along with the "wait an hour before eating". I checked with the pharmacy and yes, that means not just vitamins, but any dairy product at all! This is not good news... makes this dairy-based life form less than thrilled. My usual breakfasts run to things like fruit and yoghurt, or stir fried veggies with cottage cheese, or crustless quiche, so have apparently been sabotaging medicine all along...

On the suggestion of several folks and based on two different medical studies, am going to try taking the thyroid at bedtime instead of on awakening; this might solve a whole slew of issues, most particularly the not eating for an hour after getting up one, which I have HATED ever since starting on thyroid years ago. For most of my adult life, eating breakfast was how I started my morning, preparing food was part of the gradual wake up process and eating it woke me all the way up (girl is not a caffeine-based life form, for me coffee or tea are strong drugs used as needed when I am willing to deal with the side effects). Giving up a morning routine that worked well for one that has me wandering around in a daze for an hour has remained an ongoing challenge.

If, instead, I simply trade off having the occasional bedtime snack for getting my functional morning routine back again, that seems worth the trial... (after all, the gorram stuff can't work any less well than it does already - still have all the symptoms I had to begin with, despite "your numbers look normal") and supposedly the active ingredient is more thoroughly absorbed when ingested before sleeping, so there might be a Useful Improvement.

No comments:

Post a Comment