Saturday, March 29, 2014

the blessings of memory and the memory of blessings...


in which our plucky heroine is put in mind to remember kindness with gratitude...

Yesterday's sorting and decluttering session unburied the iPod that accompanied girl to the hospital two years ago, the tunes and gizmo a most welcome gift from my friends Bob and Sam, and girl had somehow forgotten all the gems of memory embedded in the various songs...

It has been long years since I left my parents house to go away to college the first time, long years since all the simple and complex discoveries of those years, where the autumn winds were filled with leaves the colors of bonfires, where the deep snowy streets were cleared by what our dazzled vision saw as all sorts of clanking saurian machinery... the light of memory fades away my troubles and tears that surely accompanied those tiny illuminations of my young adult life...

I do remember the first time I listened to recorded music through headphones though... even more magical than being able to listen to favorite songs and musicians at all and concert tapes of shows we never attended, headphones put the sound somehow inside your head, with the various players somehow located in different places, and sometimes the music moved location... That brighteyed hopeful young girl lives buried in the mists also somehow inside my head, she comes out to play with poetry and artworks, but most folks never see her, only what she has touched...


Bless the daytime
Bless the night
Bless the sun which gives us light
Bless the thunder
Bless the rain
Bless all those who cause us pain...

(a prayer not only for our plucky heroine who continues journeying on 'til my life bids me halt, for all of us who journey onwards, for all the heros and heroines known and unknown, but especially for G, who has now married the woman who told him to leave me)

2 comments:

  1. Bless the friends...
    You have many

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am grateful for the blessings of friends and family every day, and am most aware of my good fortune in that respect... I am wealthy in the love of those folks I am connected to...

    ReplyDelete