Saturday, February 1, 2014

try try again


in which our plucky heroine is making progress bit by bit on the pair of Roman brooches...
The actual size is about 1 1/2" across, bone disc beads are 6mm, and I have some 8mm discs on order for the centers

When my initial attempt at the radial ferns? feathers? proved less than ideal (wigglecut not giving an appropriate look) I decided to try simple engraved lines... The technique is not one I have experimented with before, and is right on the border of what my tiny hands and wrists can handle; I shall never be anywhere close to the exquisite work that my colleague Bill Dawson can do, but the effect here is similar to the look of the original artifact.

3 comments:

  1. These brooches are going to be beautiful. I love how the ferns? feathers? give it a nice 3D look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just been attempting engraving. It was a major failure so I returned to the chasing tools to make my lines. Your's look good in comparison! And the brooches' shapes are beautiful! Looking forward to seeing the finished pieces!

    ReplyDelete