Thursday, February 6, 2014

snow day


in which our plucky heroine, watching the drifting flakes, is reduced to writing haiku...

white dusts gritty wind
snow powders all directions...
glad to be indoors!

Between yesterday and today girl managed to get various perishable preparations dealt with before the snow really arrived... things like an extra half gallon of milk, some fresh greens and fruit, putting the candles and matches out ready to hand, picking up the prescriptions, and swapping the old library books for a new one.

The extra long bus ride to the other end of the city seemed less than intelligent, with the necessity of standing around in the unsheltered wind at 19F for a half hour waiting for the connecting bus. Even with enough layers of wool and fleece that our plucky heroine looked more like a matroyshka doll than ordinarily, the wind is so strong that it ran right through the multiple layers. (shall remember that, and a future coat will include a windblocking layer not just for the torso, but for the arms as well. My SCA kit does a fairly good job at keeping the core warm, multiple layers of wool worked for our ancestors and still work for us. My AnTirian hat (part mongol/part viking) has two layers of dense melton cloth wool, and is bordered with fur, so it really keeps my head warm, particularly if I wear a kerchief tied peasant style underneath. My mittens, naalbound by my dear friend Ariadne, are a good quarter inch or more thick, and dense enough to block the wind, while stiff enough to require removal if anything more dextrous than carrying a bag is needed. Withal, I rescheduled my Sellwood housecleaning job to next week, and headed home...
:::

While often Facebook is more a time sink, today girl found an article posted there that was chockablock full of wise and clever thought. One of the sayings that has been the most painful for me since starting my cancer journey is the phrase "new normal". I liked the old normal just fine... and having all my hardearned progress at building a good life swept away in the fire of illness has been a challenge. When I read "A New Normal: Ten Things I've Learned About Trauma", was almost reduced to tears by words that got right to the heart of what is also true for me...
:::

Look out the front window and see that the snow has changed from powdered sugar to larger feathers of white, and 'tis time to get back to the workroom, and make forward progress on the other assorted self-employment tasks of Roman rivets, and setting the new enamel, and re-sketching the coronet bids...If I get all that done, my reward shall be to also make small progress on the sewing projects, starting with some new pairs of warm wintertime leggings! Girl is a lot more cheerful today, like a Daruma, can push me down but cannot keep me down!!

No comments:

Post a Comment