Monday, February 10, 2014

a thin thin shell


in which our plucky heroine succumbs to cabin fever and goes for a walk...

Despite not only our rubbish weather but also feeling most under it, and sleeping on and off for several days, which is most suspiciously my body fending off some nasty germ or another, the temptation to just get out of the house for just a little bit was irresistible. Bundled up in layers, and with my winter boots chained up, girl tucked camera in pocket and set out around a few blocks, carefully; thinking to self "shiny side up rubber side down"...
Round here we have not had quite the intense ice and snow as media would suggest, but it is definitely a presence:

A few bits of dead grass in the side yard,
thin as threads but covered with a delicate candy coat of ice


the remains of last autumn's rose hips,
in silouhette against the grey clouded sky


The tattered skeleton umbels of Queen Anne's Lace
seem all decorated with icy gems

6 comments:

  1. The ONLY good thing about ice storms is seeing the plant world covered in crystal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Claire - I wholeheartedly agree - but then I am not fond of snow in general... If it hadn't been so slippery out, I would have walked around more, and was wishing I could get downtown to see the Chinese Garden all covered in ice, but decided that going home to nice warm tea was a better plan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are really excellent pictures! I always have loved a good snowy winter, but I don't think I've run into one where everything has been sheathed in ice...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mr B - I wish I could have rambled more, but it was difficult getting around. Did you not also get the ice all over everything down in Eugene, or was it just snow and more snow down there?

      Delete
  4. "shiny side up,rubber side down" that gave me a good chuckle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had you not heard that saying? I'd have thought that will all your scootering around it would be a good motto for you folks too!

      Delete