Monday, January 20, 2014

turn turn turn


in which our plucky heroine realises that lingerie and a raincoat do not a SWAP make...

My SWAP sewing had been rather derailed in the interest of getting other (work-related) projects moved forward. I need new clothes, but have been feeling somewhat less than enthused about my planned SWAP for some reason, so decided to look at my actual closet and think about where the real and current gaps are. Given my goal of having a weeks-worth of garments for both warm season and cold season wear, the actual inventory is pretty uneven:

# TEE SHIRTS KNIT TOPS BLOUSES DRESSES PINAFORES POPOVERS SLIPS & APRONS
1 grey cave horse indigo/black layered blue/multi hawaiian cornflower ikat medium denim indigo nightsky batik black knit embroidered slip
2 bad girl black black bleach print black print lawn black/grey polkadot black lovechild overall jordan almond leafy *
3 grey floral neckline black/grey crow * blue/grey ikat black linen cobalt linen *
4 bang said max black/grey stripey t-neck * brown japanese dogs black vertical pique blue microcheck linen *
5 blue stripey cloud black/white winter t-neck * black chambray grey corduroy * *
6 dk blue leopard black plain * * dk grey linen * *
7 brown acorn brown celtic wolf * * brown corduroy * *
8 black square lace grey zip neck * * grey chambray * *

I need not make any more knit tops or pinafores currently, those can be filled in as I notice the current ones wearing out. Blouses are a nice change from knit tops, but fill the same pattern niche. Popovers are my lightweight summer dresses, and won't be needed till that season. What I really need are (under)dresses (with sleeves/worn under pinafores), slips (sleeveless/worn under dresses for warmth) and the thing not shown on the chart: lingerie. I dearly want to make a raincoat this season as well...  Hmmmm... how to find a meeting place for what I need and the SWAP 2014 format.

The part of my wardrobe most in need of refurbishment is the lingerie drawer, and that would be fun to make three sets of three... But given that SWAP requires us to photograph our garments actually being worn, lingerie is right out - no pictures of our plucky heroine in her skivvies on the internet thank you very much! With the format for this years SWAP being:
Algebra SWAP 2014 = 3X + 2☆
X = 2t + b = t + T + B = t + d + b
t=top, b= bottom, T=overlayer, d=dress, ☆=wildcard

it is pretty simple to put together a wardrobe sewing plan, I did that earlier... but how to resolve matching the actual gaps in my closet and dresser with the formulae... Back in November one of my ideas was to make "...some leggings/loose pants (maybe made in lightweight polartec), and slightly cropped (rather than full length = wet bedraggled legs when it rains) and a few slips, which could combine a thin warm camisole top with a heavier attached petticoat skirt, maybe a layer of flannel and a layer of silk?" If I could combine this idea with the three dresses I plan on making, that would give me three "sets", but only if the slip could somehow be counted as a top.

If there is a way to combine my needed clothes with the SWAP rules for 2014, then I will continue participating. If not, then I shall simply continue sewing anyway, making what is most needed...

No comments:

Post a Comment