Saturday, January 18, 2014

this maneki neko is just right...


In which our plucky heroine is charmed by a small gift...

Though my home will never be a beacon of minimialism, I try hard not to become a "collector" of any one thing in particular. I do not, for example, "collect" acorn things in general, or dala horses, or even my beloved maneki neko. Which is not to say that there are not quite a few objects all over the house that fit those categories, but all of them are carefully curated to please my peculiar aesthetic sense.

The one exception to my not collecting things, is that I do collect maneki neko that are under 1" tall. In this way I can indulge my childhood passion for miniature things, and never fear that Acorn Cottage will be overrrun with beckoning oriental cats. Until now my "collection" has resided in a small wasabi dish on the far nightstand, right next to the box of marbles (if you know where your marbles are then you haven't lost them 0_o) Yesterday my pal luz clara brought me some trinkets and treasures, including a new to me tiny triple maneki neko! The two little ones are only a half inch tall. I shall need to seek out a new home for all of them, as the wasabi dish is getting a bit crowded...
The central cat is holding something none of the others in my collection have, and thanks to the internets I have determined that the small object, which I originally thought was some sort of barrel, is actually a hammer/mallet, known as the Uchide no Kozuchi (打ち出の小槌). The traditional folklore is that the hammer is very small, and that swinging it will grant your wishes... what an appropriate detail for this gift from one artisan to another!

3 comments:

  1. A little mallet!! I had no idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. neither did I, but how perfect, eh? considering that we both make jewelery as well as sew...

    ReplyDelete
  3. some kind of cosmic hammer spirit intervened, obviously!

    ReplyDelete