Sunday, October 13, 2013

Sunday shifting


This weekend, thanks to the company of my friends Beth and Karen, one of the Big Scary Chores on my great big list of "things to get done" has been dealt with: we sorted and organised ALL THE FABRIC. It turns out that our plucky heroine has a fairly modest collection, compared to some of my analog and virtual cohorts, and since I make all my own clothing, it doesn't feel at all excessive, particularly now that it is all neatly folded and mostly visible. The only fabric stored in bins is the jersey, the larger remnants, and the linen scraps, everything else is on the shelves in the sewing/guest room. Having all the fabrics visible will help a lot with designing future projects, as well as with wardrobe planning, and with luck and intention, serve as another seed crystal to refurbish and unfuck my habitat!

By gathering all the fabric in one place, this has also freed up the shelves in the workroom, which will gradually take on their true role, intended from the beginning, of becoming the wall of art and craft supplies. My intention is to bit by bit over the winter, to re-sort, cull, and organise the warren of stuff intended for artisanry here at Acorn Cottage. This will vastly improve the teaching possibilities, and allow for much personal creativity to blossom, when the ingredients, supplies, and various tools will be readily to hand. Tool Girl will be doing a happy dance...

The tall Ivar shelf unit is part of the fabric storage area, including some partially completed projects, and the bottom shelf with "ugly" fabric for making sample garments. There is room still on the shelf for millinery supplies, and other specialty notions and fabrics.

This is a little more than half of my stash, these are mostly the large pieces of woven fabric suitable for making into clothing. All the wool is on the top shelf, and there is room above it; I plan on going out into the yard and cutting fresh bunches of fragrant myrtle leaves and stuffing them here and there among the wool to deter moths. The large pieces of knit fabric are in one large plastic tote, about equivalent in quantity to one of the shelves on the bottom right.

2 comments:

  1. You know what those empty spaces mean, right?
    Time to go fabric shopping!!!!!
    (Just kidding.) (No, I'm not.)
    Love the empty spaces, love the healing process that created them.
    But love even more the fabric that stayed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Luann - my fabric collection is pretty highly curated at this point... I do go "fabric window shopping" from time to time, hard not to as I live in Portland which has an amazingly high population of independent fabric stores, best in the northwest as far as I know... but for the last several years I have been mostly sewing clothing from my stash. I am very glad that I did have a substantial amount of fabric on hand, gathered in times of economic abundance, that will help me through these current times of economic hardship. in addition, I have fabrics that were shared with me by friends local and online. And sewing/fabric/textile artisanry is only half of the creative things I do, since metalwork and enameling use an entirely different set of materials and equipment... but one room at a time, since I am a lousy multitasker.

    Something one of my northern pals once said to me has become another touchstone, that she was struggling with becoming familiar with "enough", with how to figure out what "enough" looked and felt like, in various aspects of her life. For people who make things, enough looks different than for those who do other things with their time. If I followed the standard suggestion of getting rid of anything I'd not used in a twelvemonth, then I would have very little useful supplies for artisanry. On the other hand, figuring out which bits of crafty goodness I am unlikely to use in this lifetime is a necessary challenge lest my materials push me out of my home :) It is an ongoing balancing act, that I am in the middle of putting back into balance

    ReplyDelete