Sunday, August 18, 2013

The Wind Rises


... our plucky heroine is excited... there is a new Miyazaki film... it has been released in Japan, where it is currently # 1 at the box office, despite the controversy about the subject and content... it will be shown in Toronto and Venice at their respective film festivals...

I wonder if it will ever become available in the USA, since Disney seems to have a tight grip on what Miyazaki films are distributed here, and only with their version dubbed into English. (I saw fragments of Arietty online in the British version, and it was sooo different; actually I usually watch my Miyazaki films in Japanese with the English subtitles, just to avoid the "Disneyfication") The subject matter is not the lighthearted or fantasy topics that would meet their family-friendly paradigm, but Oh how I want to see this, the tiny taste from the trailer shows the incredible beauty from the hand of an artist I consider a living treasure...





2 comments:

  1. This looks amazing. I wonder if I will be able to see it at TIFF and, if so, if they will show the Disney-fied version. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My understanding is that the film will be screened at TIFF, and since it has not been released in the USA that it will be an original version.

    ReplyDelete