Monday, August 26, 2013

tenday trip: travelog post


in which our plucky heroine has multiple opportunities to choose yes, learn new things, connect with dear friends, and celebrate transitions...

The plan was for me to go up to OlyWa for a tenday, stay with my friends at Mud Bay, be there to celebrate a birthday, be an official witness to the wedding of two friends, take the between week to work on a commission sewing project, visit friends in Seattle, and then be Crone of Honor at the wedding shindig the following Saturday. Somehow, a plethora of additional delightful activities managed to be fit into only ten days, many of which never made it onto my camera...

In 1985 girl fell in love with the Delphi Valley. I feel very grateful to have had the chance to live there the times I did; it remains a true home of my heart. The long vistas down across the fields to the mists and hills beyond are always different and always the same in their beauty...

Highway 101, looking east towards Mud Bay

a slightly different perspective on the giant cattle sculptures
... not to be confused with "Giant Cow" by the Urban Surf Kings


view from Mud Bay Road across the bay to 101 and the hills beyond

view from Mud Bay Road looking north across the bay, and probably my best ever picture of this view...

Blue Heron Bakery has been there for years, they are a local institution, and it was a real treat to get to hang out the first night I was there, sitting around the fire behind the bakery, and hearing such wonderful guitar playing... A few days later I wandered back behind the well house, where one of the old bakery signs remains as decoration.

the overflow from their artesian well, creating a small stream, and blessing the carved stone in the channel. The water at Mud Bay is so sweet and pure, my friends also have an artesian well at their home...

Jen, Bill, Cathy, and Toshi walking home from the bakery. Not sure how the camera shifted the reflections... the bridge is really quite solid, and doesn't have a scary gap down to the water between the road and the railing.

This is the venerable Amanita Trout. She was adopted from the animal shelter sometime in the early 90's as an adult cat. I sometimes refer to her as the cat that will live forever, she has had some amazing adventures and is still going strong and hunting bunnies...

Whilst in OlyWa, the chance to spend time playing in Jen Ariadne's glass studio was irresistible... We took a trip out to Franz Glass in Shelton, and it was a lot like being in a candy store, with bins and bins of glass cane in all colors! Jen is both an inspiring artist and an excellent teacher. Those who know me know I have a minor obsession with eye-beads, and continue to practice learning to make dots. These are probably the most successful I've managed so far; girl is particularly pleased with the two beads on either side of the center, with their multi-layered eyes and paired dark dots in between...

One of the many adventures on my trip was taking public transit from Olympia to Seattle (which took almost four hours). I started out at TESC, took a bus downtown, another bus to the 510 park-n-ride, another bus to downtown Seattle, and finally one last bus ride to my dear friends home in Madrona

Going through downtown Tacoma heading back to I-5, the suspension bridge cables make a pattern against the sky

Once I got off the bus in Seattle, and after lunch in the food court at Uwajimaya (a special treat), girl decided to walk over to where it was possible to catch a bus to my friends home... turned out to be a much longer walk than expected, but there were some scenic fragments to be found downtown

(and that is probably enough travelog for one day, there will be more in the next few days, as the wedding shindig deserves a post, and the canning fruit project was most photogenic... but girl is tired and there is a lot left to do here at Acorn Cottage tonight...

No comments:

Post a Comment