Wednesday, August 28, 2013

tenday trip: canning fruit for the winter


Soon after our plucky heroine arrived in Mud Bay, there was an excursion to a farmstand out on the road to Steamboat Island. These were beautiful morning glory vines growing just alongside...

A delectable assortment of wonderful homegrown organic veggies, and organic fruit from over the mountains. Cases of peaches and nectarines came back to the house, and Cathy and I planned to fill many many canning jars with fruit for the winter to come...

Juicy fragrant peaches, some to be canned for winter fruit, some to be made into crisp or cut and stirred into homemade ice cream, and some just to eat them up yum!

Gorgeous perfect freestone nectarines, freshly washed and ready to be cut up...

... and put on the stove, to be heated up before packing into jars.

The stove at Mud Bay, with all the burners in use! We canned for the better part of two days.

Nectarines get canned skins-on, which gives an incredible vivid color to the contents.

Some (but by no means all) of our canned fruit. I took home just under four cases of mixed nectarines and peaches, including a few jars each of nectarine-ginger jam and peach-almond-rosewater sauce. This adventure also gave me the chance to try out using the Tatler re-useable canning jar lids, and it was great to find that they are not at all difficult, and the process is quite similar to the familiar metal lid routine. I feel very confident to start using the ones I was gifted with last year, and also feel confident in having the strength and stamina to get back to my home preserving activities, which were derailed in 2012 by cancer surgery and treatment.



4 comments:

  1. Nectarines are my favorite fruit, partly because of the taste and partly because of the color! Your tummy will thank you next winter!!

    (PS I laughed out loud at the Tatler ad where it says "leave your creativity behind!!")

    ReplyDelete
  2. there is a place for creativity in canning foods, but it requires knowledge of what can be altered safely and what things, when changed, might compromise the acid balance and thereby possibly the wholesomeness of the resulting food. I have only experience with waterbath canning, which has certain parameters that must be observed, pressure canning has different rules, but they all have varying requirements as to time of processing, size of jars, and other things...

    ReplyDelete
  3. My uncle was a food scientist and a volunteer phone answerer for the "Turkey Hot Line" for many Thanksgiving seasons! He knew all the rules, and he was even upset when I was using a re-usable coffee filter. . . I learned a lot from him and from my mom, and for that reason, I have never tackled home canning. Too scary!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your report on your trip. I enjoyed your lovely results. I have been canning tomatoes and freezing beans from our garden, but so far no fruit.

    ReplyDelete