Thursday, August 15, 2013

playing with proportions, or baby bears neckline style


in which our plucky heroine attempts to line things up...

Yesterday when I showed my new lace tee shirt, I referred to my attempt to find the balance point as a way of getting a more becoming neckline. Online agreement was that the longer neckline was, indeed, an improvement. (there were even comments that I looked both younger?, and more athletic?!) There were, as well, several suggestions that the neckline be made wider, in various ways. I decided that it would be an interesting exercise to actually draw the lines and look more specifically at the neckline proportions...


The first thing that I noticed is that where I first cut the neckline it would have been as wide as my face and as long; that the width of the edge binding in the way I stitched it to the neckline makes it a bit smaller (the binding shows up a bit darker around the edges in the photo) What this tells me is that I could either use a different technique to finish the neckline edge, or cut the neckline a little larger all round, to good effect.

Going back to various wardrobe photos, it is clear to me that there is a definite difference in how the shape of the neckline affects how much I like or don't like how I look in the clothing. Proportion really does make a difference. A wider but shorter neckline makes me feel rather like the side of a barn, as it puts the focus disproportionately on width. A neckline that is wide, but deep enough, looks more balanced, but is not always the most practical choice. A neckline that is a good width, length, and shape makes me feel like my head is in proportion to my body, and really does seem to bring the focus up to my face, rather than sending the eye back and forth in a horizontal direction. Even so subtle a thing as what jewelry I am wearing also makes a difference, the length and width of a necklace, the lines made by a scarf, and definitely the difference made by the style of a hat. I will be continuing to explore this concept (and am even considering changing the necklines on some of my other dresses to improve the proportions) as I work my way through sewing my Autumn 6PAC...

No comments:

Post a Comment