Monday, August 12, 2013

a small indulgence


I've had these tiny molded glass vintage acorns on my wishlist for a really long time, finally just couldn't resist, and a small package was waiting in my mailbox today. They are pendant-beads (hole visible in center acorn)! I have an idea for earrings that these can become. A number of years back I ran across a photo of an antique pair of exquisite silver acorn and oakleaf earrings, that were quite exactly my SCA badge. While I have no intention of attempting an exact copy, and certainly don't have the dosh to purchase them, I found the design and the variation in scale to be immensely inspiring.

When there is a gap in my work schedule, there will be some playtime at the workbench, to hopefully create tiny oakleaves... I have some ideas, but not sure what will actually work at that scale, and how best to combine various components into something wearable. The original looks to be a combination of cast and fabricated. If I can work out the details, I can have some acorn-ish jewelry (earrings and/or pendants) for sale, as well as an addition to my own small collection of acorn earrings
:::

Every now and again online there are posts about "Keeping Portland Weird", which often feature, among other things, Darth Vader on a unicycle playing the bagpipes... well, this Sunday whilst downtown waiting for the bus home, I kept hearing a piper playing, somewhere, faintly, down one or another of the canyons of buildings and streets... The music got louder, and I just managed to see him wheeling and playing while rolling through the intersection a block away. Sometimes I really love where I live!
:::

Though I much prefer the old folk-style arrangement of this song to the new one they are using here, it is great to run across music and performers that I loved from back in the Club Passim folksong days... David Buskin and Robin Batteau doing a new version of "Warm"

In the chill before the morning, I put my hand upon your cheek
and your skin is soft as velvet, your face is flushed with sleep...
and the rain outside my window plays a sad and lonesome song;
It feels so good beside you, I've been in the rain too long...

Warm, we keep each other warm -
we keep each other safe, and sheltered from the storm.
Love, we may not be in love
but looking at the "loving" that I see, I'm happy just to be so warm...

We're neither of us children, we both have been around,
we both know what it feels like getting lost and being found;
and I'm learning to be grateful for the moments I can steal
from the coldness of the nighttime to the way you make me feel...

Warm, we keep each other warm -
we keep each other safe and sheltered from the storm.
Love, we may not be in love
but looking at the "loving" that I see, I'm happy just to be so warm...

1 comment:

  1. Those little acorn beads are charming! Your future earrings will be lovely!

    ReplyDelete