1 hour ago
Sunday, March 3, 2013
slip sliding away
I made a slip, by combining two thrifted garments. The skirt had wonderful hand embroidery (probably from India) and the most unusually uncomfortable bunchy "yoga pants style" waistline ever; it seemed like the appropriate thing to deconstruct a simple ribbed tee and convert it into a bodice, thereby adding warmth and subtracting discomfort.
I cut the tee off at my natural waistline, which gave enough extra fabric to allow for cutting several 2" wide strips to bind the neckline and armholes. I first cut away the neckline to more or less the location of my bra, bound that edge, then cut away the sleeves of the tee. When I did that, it was obvious that the tee-armscye was looser than would be appropriate for a slip, so I added in some small bust darts by the simple means of pinching out the excess, pinning in place, and zigzagging along the line and cutting away the excess. Not couture, but this is a rather more expedient type of garment, and since most knits don't ravel, it was as easy as pie.
Gathering supplies for finishing my black denim overall pinafore. These are "tack buttons", the oh so easy to use type that are commonly found on some kinds of blue jeans and jean jackets. Aren't they spiffy, and look... the design on the buttons is actually a tiny Laurel wreath!
and these are the small basic rivets that Oregon Leather had in stock. I could have waited longer, and ordered something more decorative online, but the overall-pinafore is designed with a fairly utilitarian aesthetic, and using what is available locally makes all kinds of sense.