Sunday, January 20, 2013

utility pinafore


Next up will be a new overall utility pinafore, with multiple pockets! Not sure I will do the shaped pocket flaps as sketched, but it seemed like a fun idea...

This will be made up in some heavy black denim, which with luck should last more than a year or two. I was given it as a gift from some friends who know my favorite colors; when pre-washed it started doing some interesting random fadeout almost like tiedye.

I am cutting out the various parts of this bit by bit, the fabric is pretty tough and I can only cut it one layer at a time. The plan is to morph my overall TNT top half with my pinafore TNT skirt patterns, and add a few custom pockets to the skirt half. This will also be part of my "Everyday Whimsey" SWAP 2013. I've got my fingers crossed that I will manage to complete this by the end of the month.

As trim for this, a very narrow band of patchy goodness, which will be edge-bound and added to the hemline, about 1½ inches up from the bottom edge. The trimming fabrics are both small pieces from my stash of "scrap suitable for trim" - the black/cream is from the edges of a block printed tablecloth bought at least 20 years ago at an import store in seattle, and the black/indigo is from a quarter yard bought at StoneMountain in Berkeley years ago.

This trim is my answer to the StashBusting Sewalong challenge for January; well the pinafore is from stash also, but the trim uses the requisite little pieces:
January: Itty Bits! Sew up those remnants left over from another project, use up some of those tiny scraps that you've been saving...as long as it's less than a yard of fabric, it counts!

My inspiration for this is my beloved (but ancient, very threadbare, and no longer wearable) overall pinafore, which I refashioned in 2009 from the overalls that I made for my very first SWAP in 2005...

1 comment:

  1. I really like the jean pinafore. You have inspired to concoct something of my own.

    ReplyDelete