Thursday, January 17, 2013

thoughtful Thursday - a $5 piece of fish


Our plucky heroine loves fresh fish, but rarely allows the indulgence. I know how healthy it can be, but the cost is almost three times the cost of local chicken, and on the kind of budget that is needful, it is a rare treat. Sometimes though, I just cannot resist... When I saw that there was some black cod in the fish case at the grocery, I just had to bring a small piece home... and it made a delectable, if expensive, breakfast today.

It is not surprising that ocean fish is so spendy, while the fish require no care in the raising and growing, simply getting the boats and crew out where the fish can be caught is a resource intensive activity, and getting the caught fish to market as well. That this is an available food is a function of our current culture, but since I love it so and it is so very healthful, being full of useful omega-3, I will allow myself the extravagence once in a long while. Black Cod, also known as Sablefish, is not endangered and is in the best choice/good alternative category on the Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch list.

It was cooked in the most simple way, hot pan cold oil, laid skin down and the pan covered... once the flesh turned more opaque than translucent, carefully flip over for a minute or so, then eat with a squeeze of fresh lemon. The skin is thin and crunchy, reminding me of salmon skin sushi... Indeed black cod is similar to salmon in nutritional profile, but with a very different and almost buttery flavor. Yum! and sorry for no pictures, I ate the fish for breakfast before I thought of the camera...

1 comment:

  1. That sounds wonderful. I was never a fan of fish except for at home, the fresh caught, prepared at Dad's (the catch of the day in Indiana is usually Chili).

    Enjoy and thank you so much for the well wishes. You are in my prayers as well.

    ReplyDelete