Saturday, January 5, 2013

the hats of 2012


... our plucky heroine has a serious case of hat addiction; there is rarely a day in the year when a hat is not part of my everyday clothing, and most of the hats are made right here at Acorn Cottage... Four new hats were made this past year, to join my collection...

in December, I once again lost my Goretex rainhat on transit, and had to make yet another one; took the opportunity to add some design upgrades (longer chinstrap, and six attachment points around the crown to allow for future decorative or useful bits to be added...

a different style of hat, this pillbox has pompoms! I have had a minor infatuation with pompoms lately. This hat will coordinate with all the new clothing that will be part of the garment sewing marathon between now and April...

Sometimes a more formal hat is needed, and when the wedding invite encouraged guests to wear "fabulous hats" it was a challenge I couldn't resist. Learned to make silk organza roses, the shot silk was just the right colors to match my dress...

this hat was made up last autumn in the same heavy brushed cotton twill fabric that will also become an overall jumper in a few months; the colors are a staple combination in my wardrobe.

2 comments:

  1. Love the hats! Especially the 'wedding hat' and the pill box.

    Are these your own patterns?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. The pillbox hat is from an OOP Vogue pattern 9082, with added decoration and pickstitching. The brimmed hats are made from The Green Pepper Norwester hat pattern, with quite a few modifications to the construction. I almost always prefer to bind an edge rather than stitch and turn, and I see no need to make the hat size adjustable, since my head does not change size... The wedding hat started out as a simple straw hat purchased on clearance, and I added the decorations to make it more dressy, by intertwining the knit and felted leafy wreath with some strips of black tulle, and then pinning on a half-dozen silk organza roses that I made and turned into brooches... I'd never made silk flowers before, but the internet is full of tutorials...

    ReplyDelete