Thursday, December 20, 2012

transmogrification revelation


... in which our plucky heroine is smacked over the head with a clue-by-four...
Last night I started back messing with the Ur-jumper - boy howdy is this going to be an interesting ride; re-grading from the size 5 pattern found online to one that fits me. Initial attempt XP1 is not anywhere near there yet, my attempts were overenthusiastic in some areas and not extensive enough in others.
I had a realisation this morning on awakening, after struggling last night with my current minor obsession - re-grading and transmogrifying a size 5 pattern from the 70's to fit my current size and shape... why not, instead of going through all this rigamarole, simply use one of my current well-fitting pinafore patterns, and adapt the details from the Ur-jumper that I find so appealing. Carolyn, over at Diary of a Sewing Fanatic, is a master of this concept; she is inspired by the works of various clothing designers, and transforms her own TNT dress patterns into variations that suit her shape and lifestyle.

I think that developing TNT patterns, is one way to allow our creative selves to have a ground on which to dance, rather than having to conjure up the ground first each time. By starting with a pattern that already fits me, I can add in the style lines and details* that I want to have, in one step, rather than the multiple trial garments involved in working with a new pattern, not to mention the additional issues in pattern grading.

Thank you, subconscious brain, for your clever efforts to keep me sane. Girl really didn't want to make up four or five sample garments, just wants clothes to wear that keep me warm and happy in my urban fairytale life...

*shaped midriff panel, dart control shifted to gathers along seamlines, shoulder flanges, large patch pockets, possibly front invisible zipper...

6 comments:

  1. Let's hear a cheer for the subconscious brain!! I frequently fall into the trap of making something that could be simple into something really complex - nice to know I have good company there ;-)

    Congrats on Great Big Sea tix - they sound terrific.

    JoyceP in WI (Stitcher's Guild member)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. isn't it amazing what our minds can do, if only we get out of the way... I hope to do a muslin of the new improved Ur-jumper over the Christmas holiday, just in time for SWAP...

      Delete
  2. Good thinking on the jumper, and I wish great success for you on this project.

    Regarding SAD, when that bothers me, I print out an interesting poem and try to memorize it. The brain (at least my brain) has to focus on the poem in order to memorize it, and can't slosh around in the dismals while it does so. It is a secret source of glee to remember poems or snippets of poems. A few lines of poetry can add color to writing or impress your friends, for free!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a fun idea about memorising poems... I will certainly add that to my list of things to do when I need to shift focus away from the doldrums. I did find, in particular after my cancer diagnosis and throughout my treatment, that when I am able to go walkabout and take my camera with me, that focusing intently on gathering images is also a good way to keep my mind intent on something else than the internal dialog.

      Delete
  3. Good thinking; getting a TNT pattern that fits you to a tee, and then just adding bits and pieces sounds like an excellent plan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a few TNT patterns, one for a tee shirt, one for a bias front top/dress, and two for pinafore/jumpers. This year I hope to add in a basic button front blouse, and a pair of pants to the roster. I really enjoy customising the patterns to get different looks, don't know why it took me so long to realise I could do that with this project...

      Delete