Sunday, December 23, 2012

not amatuer


"Inspiration is for amateurs,
the rest of us just show up and get to work..."

             ~ Chuck Close
(my chosen quote for this weekend, since if I wait for inspiration to find me, I'd be waiting a long long time. Somehow if I just do the work, inspiration like a cat is intrigued, and comes to see what is happening)
:::

theme song for nowadays

:::

A holiday gift for my kitchen: new stove burner, and burner trays, this time black enamel trays instead of the thin plated sheet metal ones that so quickly rust through and fall apart. Surprisingly, the black trays make the whole top of the stove look a little nicer somehow...
:::

Way back in 2010 our plucky heroine started some corbie enamels, not sure when they were completed... know that one was set and gifted away, and the other has been sitting on my workbench with a UnFinishedObject setting, which I decided would be a good warmup for actually completing the goutte/jambe. The Curious Raven brooch is now complete and am working on / have also completed the goutte jambe settings teeny tiny brooch.
:::

Apparently the WarmWindowtm filling in the roman shades in the kitchen is not washable. Didn't realise that when they were constructed. The shades do keep the room more temperate, but after almost eight (8!) years, they are in need of washing and looking a bit shabby. Perhaps the outer layer can be cut away and a new fabric replace the leafy outlines?
:::

This is the cotton/linen fabric for the new bedroom curtains are that my current home decor project. I had been looking at these Ikea curtains for probably the last five years or more. I love the midcentury inspired aesthetic, the colors are just right, and fortunately I am also quite happy with how the fabric looks like now that I have it here at Acorn Cottage and have started working with it.

Only needed to buy one set of curtains to make into the four panels for the two bedroom windows; rather than run the curtains down to the floor, they only need be long enough to reach the windowsills. This is what one of the four panels looks like, with the sunlight shining through it...
Two complete and two more to go, they are not difficult, but large and time-consuming, as each panel has a detached lining which also needs hemmed and attached at the top edge, as well as each completed panel needing pleated in to fit loosely in the space allotted.

Now that there are the real pretty curtains that I have wanted for so long, I am thinking that if I make a pelmet/valance to close in the top edge, that will also make a small but significant improvement in how cold the room is, as it will close off the window convection loop. Possibly a trip to Mr Plywood, or perhaps Woodcrafters is in my near future (oh darn!) Another possible inspired? idea is that there are a few weathered-grey fenceboards in the outdoor lumber stash, which might make a suitable facing for said valance with just a bit of tidy saw work... must go take a closer looksee with a measuring tape when there is a gap in the rain.

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. thanks! Ikea is my friend, there are quite a things from Ikea here at Acorn Cottage. I am, however, quite selective about what I bring home, not wanting to look like a shop showroom, but these curtains have been asking to come live here for YEARS. Really, the house is furnigshed in about 1/4 Ikea, 1/4 family hand-me-downs, 1/4 thrifted treasures, and 1/4 artisan object made by friends or self...

      Delete
  2. If they are to be used with the curtains shown above, weathered grey wood sounds lovely and definitely inspired!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am considering the weathered wood, but am also concerned that since it has been outdoors for years, that it might contain some sort of insect life that I would prefer to remain outdoors! (Not sure how best to either find that out or prevent it)

      My other option is that I have a few pieces of wonderful jaquard linen in a woodgrain design, that would give a similar effect without the extra construction needed to support a wood-faced valance...

      Delete
  3. Merry Christmas Alison - you continue to light our lives with the beauty of your creativity. Thank you for brightening many a gloomy day around here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christmas Greetings to you as well - I am grateful for your online friendship, grateful for what you do and who you are both online and offline...

      Delete