Thursday, January 5, 2012

Friday fragments

Oh dear, somehow it has become marmalade season, and I've not yet done any preserving! Will there be time to make up a batch or two in the next week and a half? Well maybe, if I spend less time online. It would be a sad thing indeed to go into 2012 with no marmalade in the pantry...
:::

New Seasons had smoked ham shanks on sale after New Years Day for 99¢/lb, which is astonishingly excellent for local pork processed in house. They were nice huge meaty pieces too! For under four dollars, there are seven half shank pieces in the freezer, some bone-in and some boneless, and the eighth piece made crockpot split peas soup... There will be a lot more soup in my kitchen this winter, and this will help keep it flavorful.
:::

I want to try something that I read recently in Cooks Magazine - they wrote that if you are making hummus, and want it to be nice and smooth, do not chill the garbanzos. Apparently it also works if you warm up canned garbanzos, some kitchen experimentation is called for...
:::

I splurged just a tiny bit today, (boy howdy it is super easy to order things online, good thing I have mighty strong will power, or I could get in a lot of trouble) Ordered two of my favorite Jesse Colin Young CD's: "Lightshine" and "Song for Juli", and Miyazaki's "Porco Rosso". I'll be saving them for when I am a convalescent. Back in the day, those albums were some of my favorite coming down music; Porco Rosso has been on my (very)short list of "want to own" movies for a really long time. Other than this, I am starting to put together small baskets of crafty goodness to keep boredom at bay, knitting and embroidery and handwork oh my...
:::
Well, back to sorting and organising...


^-.-^\___}}
with one ear up,
dog circles round,
ready to sleep

T-minus 13 days

3 comments:

  1. When you are home again and feel up to it you should come spend a day at my house (even if you have to lay on the couch with a blankie and tea) and watch all of the awesome Japanese cartoon movies we have on Netflix. There's a ton of good ones. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds delightful! Not sure when I will be up for the TriMet journey though...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Silly Girl,I would come get you!XO

    ReplyDelete