Friday, December 2, 2011

a few fragments

In which our plucky heroine reconnects with the benefits of good cast iron, among other things...
Bit by bit, mostly while riding the bus, I've been working on my contribution to the artisans ornament swap. It's a bit informal, but several pals and I decided it would be fun to do this year - in fact, several of the same folks that will be part of the ManyHands Marketplace which will be happening here in two weeks. The handicraft is strong here; my little hands have been busy: skyblue wool felt, and DMC wool floss, and blue sequins, and eventually some multicolor blue-ish handspun, will be turned into ornamental horses, not for sale, but for gifting, for the fun of trading with other artists, to get other pretties to brighten the wintertime... Oh there will be things to buy, things for sale at our annual holiday market, but for these, I need not concern myself with how many hours it takes to make each one, just how much fun it is to embroider and embellish.
:::

Saturday breakfast for four was a comestible success, I made aebleskiver! (described by one of my houseguests as "Norse frybread") I was inspired by this recipe posted by Bridget, and was very grateful that (rather than my last attempt at breakfast baking; ex-waffle-iron makes a better target than it ever did waffles) I actually have on my cookware shelves a lovely vintage cast iron aebleskiver pan, which my parents bought decades ago in Solvang, and which occasionally made the delectable spherical cakes when I was still a child. My mom sent it to me a while back, but I'd never used it for the intended purpose until now...

Once I figured out the right amount of butter to add to each indentation, the tasty toasty balls were no trouble to turn, and soon were on the table, along with an assortment of homemade jam. Was very tasty, especially with the meyer lemon and blood orange marmalade that was the January project that my sister and I made. Yay for a well stocked pantry, tasty food, and good friends!
:::

Whist out and about this week, I suddenly remembered "paperwhites"! I stopped in at ink and peat, the shop of lovely artifacts and flowers, and sure enough, there were still a few bulbs left... If set up properly, they will bring a bit of flowery sweetness in midwinter, after only a relatively few weeks of waiting. I don't always remember every year, but the individual bulbs are not terribly spendy, being around a dollar and a half each, which is a pretty frugal bit of fun.

I first experimented in 2009 with adding alcohol to their water*, and now would not force paperwhites in plain water ever again, instead of long floppy foliage that tries to tip over, the small amount of alcohol seems to have a kind of homeopathic effect, the paperwhites no longer lean drunkenly tipsy, but stand solidly upright...
:::

*1 part alcohol to 7 parts water, I have a small bottle of ordinary inexpensive local vodka used for various kinds of "science experiments" round the house...


/^-.-^\___}}
dog is on watch

1 comment:

  1. I love that you use local vodka, or maybe I love the fact that living in the PNW you feel obliged to mention that the vodka is local.

    Our tiny little house in Oakland California has some naturalized paperwhite growing next to the driveway. They start blooming around Thanksgiving, and just go and go.

    ReplyDelete