Saturday, December 11, 2010

transformations

Thursday I did a very simple change to the grey tunic from my SWAP 2010 attempt. My initial vision had large shoulder flanges, which ended up being both unpleasantly droopy-looking, and rather heavy to wear. So, after realising that said tunic had been simply sitting in the drawer ever since being completed in March... off with the offending flaps. With a bit of hand-stitching for the edges that were underneath, to align with the stitching already on the vertical seams, it is much more comfortable now, and will be a good addition to the winter wardrobe layers


this
tunic
<------

became
this
tunic
------>
≈ : ♥ : ≈

It is a good thing to have an assortment of small handwork projects, appropriate for various lengths of time and locations. Sometimes knitting is what is needful, sometimes stitching, sometimes sketching. Unfortunately, my enameling and metalwork have no portable handwork associated, they are pretty much strictly studio projects.

Just for fun, I'd decided to follow along, in my own way, the inspiring instructional videos from Jude Hill* for a winter holiday cloth. Indigo bits have been picked from the scrap boxes and stitched together as a backing. The removed tunic flanges were sitting on the coffee table in the living room, and caught my eye...


this
<------

became
this
------>
Now there are steep hills, and a place is forming. I like the way it is reminiscent of the landscapes I drew over and over again as a young adult, steep hills and mountains against the sky. Some triangle trees of various sizes are set to go through the laundry, as possible additions.

* the series of her posts starts here, just follow the links on each page...

1 comment: