Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Tuesday thoughts

Once the steampunkish neckwarmer is finished, knitting will be on hold for a while.

I have been completely unable to find 3/8” buttons anywhere that look good and are not plastic; the vintage buttons I’m attempting to order from Etsy are between 1/2” and 5/8”. We’ll see if they work with the buttonholes… I have no real desire to make so many buttons by hand, 23 buttons is a lot of cutting and soldering
≈ : ♥ : ≈

I have fallen rather totally out of love with my blue cardigan sweater project, and am planning on simply binding it off as a vest, rather than throwing good knitting after something no longer exciting. It will be useful, and warm, and blue, and that is good enough. There is always a disconnect between the image in my head, and the way things look on my actual body being worn with my actual clothing. Sometimes finished objects look pleasing, or even better than I'd thought, and sometimes my galloping imagination has far outrun the reality. Light bright horizontal stripey sleeves on a dark bodice make me feel as big as a barn - not good...Perhaps some kind of blue/indigo jacket would be a better fit for that wardrobe niche?
≈ : ♥ : ≈

There are numerous sewing projects that are higher priority right now, and some embroidery that can become the next transit project (part of the SCA sewing I volunteered for) Next up in the stitching queue is a corduroy jumper for J . The studio work is progressing slowly but steadily. I miss having my open studio pal here tonight, she had a bad interaction with her cat, and needed to let her finger heal.
≈ : ♥ : ≈

Still hurting from the fall I took on the 29th. Went to my final PT appt. today and could NOT do the new exercises, my shoulder is too sore. Nonetheless took home a new color of elastic band and the pictures/instructions; once my shoulder stops hurting more progress will hopefully be possible.
≈ : ♥ : ≈

On the "needs-fixed-November" list, the bedroom wall cabinet project is done; good enough for now. Two more small peg racks from Ikea were cut to fit the rest of the space between the cabinet and the wall, and there is now enough room for my decorative trinkets to live, and the visual lines are extended in a way that looks complete. It is lovely and convenient to have a mirror that is just my height. The back of the door peg-rack was swapped with the one that formerly held tools in the furnace closet; now the lacey carved one is there, holding brooms and canning rings, and the simple wood one is on the door at a height that will be easier for me to reach. (the fancy wood one has really long pegs, being originally a mug rack, and they needed to be above head, and cabinet, height) One corner of the room is approaching functional, needing only paint to be beautiful as well as useful...

. .
original sketch and final result, started 11/1, finished 11/9

. .
before starting this project... and halfway through...

2 comments:

  1. Sorry, your sweater project didn't work out. Your bedroom wall cabinet looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the compliment on my wall cabinet. Can you tell that I am a bungalow girl at heart?

    The sweater was a refashion of another sweater that wore out, I unraveled the mostly good yarn and re-knit it. I find that knowing when to stop and quit a project is a difficult skill I'm still working on learning

    ReplyDelete