Thursday, November 11, 2010

its curtains for you my pretty...

Living with a Goodwill at the end of the street makes it easy to drop in and check for useful things. Today there were two sets of Woolrich cotton flannel twin sheet sets, (missing a pillowcase), that were only $2.99 each. Flannel works quite well as a sewing muslin, and given the brand name, these were a surprisingly low quality flannel, somewhat loosely woven and pilly, so I had no compunction about their fate. (Oh how I love my now seven year old set of black Garnet Hill flannel sheets, worn, but still so soft and smoothly fluffy)

After washing them, while spending some time folding the laundry pile that is what remains of Mt Washmore, I realised that there was enough yardage, in a rather pleasant medium blue chambray color, to make a complete set of curtains for the living room from said sheets... As curtains, the slight overall pilling will not matter at all, no ones tender skin will be next to the draperies! And it would be a visual improvement to have the long window and the side window match. This will be added to Mt. Sewmore the current sewing pile; an easy project, just with many many little buttonholes to fit the hooks on the curtain rods...
≈ : ♥ : ≈

The knitted neckwarmer is almost done, the buttons have been ordered and shipped (on their way here from Texas), and soon it will be ready for the colder days ahead. Each thing that I knit I learn new techniques, some join the list of trusty tools. For this one I tried out a new-to-me cast off, the "Surprisingly Stretchy Bind Off" I really like it, it is easy to do, though a wee bit time consuming, and really is stretchy and resilient. It just might become my favorite plain cast-off. (Video tutorial here and Knitty article here
≈ : ♥ : ≈
There was some interest from folks about custom rainhats similar to this one that I made for myself. It looks like the cost would be around $80 - $90, and I can get the Goretex fabric in a variety of colors. Let me know if you are wanting a special hat made...

1 comment:

  1. Mt Washmore? Mt Sewmore? *blink*

    Bwahhahahahaha

    Oh my how I needed that this morning...

    ReplyDelete