Wednesday, September 15, 2010

bespoke ideology + S3 - day 15

It sometimes seems odd to me, to focus for a month at a time on clothing*... maybe selfish, or excessively first world. But clothing, unless one lives in a tropical paradise, is one of the necessary things. When reading what Sigrid of Analog Me wrote, about the handmade pottery dishes, the feeling resonated as a deep echo.

I want a life that is bespoke, not one that is readymade. Readymade fits no one very well. If there are organising principles in our lives, that is one of mine for certain. For me, to have clothing that is handmade, choosing to follow my own concepts and ideas rather than swallow/follow the direction of the corporate powers that be, is one of the ways that I have opted out of the dominant paradigm. Not to say that my closet is a bastion of radical ideology. This is actually an aspect of my personality that in some ways has been there for as long as I can recall, in one form or another, but that is another post, and there are tasks to do today as well as writing here.

Today is all soft color, wearing the pastel japanese dress with the grey chambray pinafore. I really really want to make more pinafores, a denim one, and the grey corduroy that the bird embroidery is destined for, and maybe one in brown, if there is enough after the jumper for J is completed. There are a few pieces of wool that my mother sent me that might, just might, be enough, if cut with medieval frugality.
The earrings are from a series that B and I did several years ago, "Mud Bay Mushrooms"... There were four different designs: scarlet aminitas, silver shaggy manes, bronze golden morels, and these sweet little liberty cabs. All local to where we lived, and a whimsy to wear as earrings. A bit of enamel gives the caps the right pale color.

The brooch is a design inspired by Norse imagery, Sleipnir and Odin's ravens Huginn and Muninn. Stamped and engraved brass, it was one of my early experiments with wiggle-cut engraving. That style of engraving is much simpler to learn and to do than traditional engraving, and I like it very much. Even with my child sized hands and wonky wrists, it is still possible to get a nice decorative effect. The technique also works very well to create an underlying design for transparent enameling.

*maybe next month I'll focus on shelter, and finally get some of the decluttering done...

1 comment:

  1. It's good to hear that what I wrote about handmade had meaning to someone. And then when I read your take on it, my original impulse feels more solid.

    I agree that thinking about clothes for a month feels awfully privileged.
    I need to be doing something serious about shelter too.

    ReplyDelete