≈ : ♥ : ≈Since the middle of May, I've been slowly but steadily stitching away most evenings, so as to have clothing to wear this summer. I just completed dress #6...
This is my finished project for the japanese sewalong that was sponsored by Cecili. I added the distinctive neck band and sleeve width from the sewalong pattern to my TNT dress pattern, (simpler than re-grading the japanese pattern to my size). I am pretty happy with it, and drafting the neck variation was not that difficult. The fabric is a cotton twill jacquard, and very soft.
The neck band took as much time as the entire rest of the garment. Red text is my interpretation of the pictures. I did a lot of basting. I was not sure how to make the bottom edge tidy and enclose all the raw edges, as there are quite a few layers all coming together. I just kind of folded things up and hand stitched it as best I could.
The neck band fits into the neckline very smoothly, and is quite comfortable to wear. Quite a change from my usual simple bias bound edge. Best estimate is that it took at least three hours of pretty fiddly work to do however... while binding a neckline takes maybe half an hour tops, and that includes cutting out bias strips.
My one concern is that the bottom edge has at least six layers of fabric, all stitched to one layer of the bodice. If ever making this style neck band again, might be a good idea to use fabric that is thinner for the neckband, or to reinforce the bodice center front.
≈ : ♥ : ≈