Friday, May 28, 2010

brought to you by the letter U...

Unpleasant, unexpected but not unsurprising... In which our plucky heroine discovers that she has adopted a termite instead of a dog...

The things that are going well are that she is good about sitting, and fairly good about lying down. She is learning to wait while I go through the door first. She walks well on the leash, and we are working on her sitting when I stop. Wednesday evening we walked for about an hour and a half. Yesterday we had several walks during the day and a long one before bedtime. I am doing the "she must sit or lie down before interactions" thing I did that with Smokey her whole life.

Yesterday she seemed okay when I went away for about an hour to the library. I understand that the last several weeks have been traumatic for her. Today I went to work for a half day. I knew I was taking a chance...The data sheet said that she was not crate trained and was commonly left loose in the house, (of course no information on whether that was being left alone in the house, and no way of knowing if in fact any of the information from the former owners was in fact true.)

We had a morning walk, and I left her with water, and a rubber flying saucer toy stuffed with cheese. Obviously my being gone for almost five hours and leaving her alone was too long and she became anxious. When I came home, I found that she had chewed up my livingroom window and the carpeting in the front doorway. There are no apparent damages to her mouth and teeth. It was obvious that she was quite agitated. I said nothing, put away my groceries, and walked around the house quietly to see if there was any other damage. Then I smoothed back the carpet and took her outside for a walk, she sat nicely for me to put on the leash, and I made her wait until I went outside first.

When we came back to the house, I let her loose once she had sit, and began to do what I could to clear away the debris. (Later I once again offered dog food, and she once again ignored it) I also tried putting the bowl of food just inside the crate, and she showed no interest. (She basically hasn't eaten since she got here.)

She did not damage anything else in the house, just the window and the door. I do not blame her in any way, she is simply confused. I cannot lure her into the crate, and I certainly cannot shove her in, as she is a big strong full grown dog. I do not know how to crate train a dog that is not interested in food or treats. I am not sure what to do next. Obviously I cannot stay home all the time. The only other thing I can think of is to confine her to the bathroom when I am not at home. Given how much wood she chewed up today, I do not think that a baby gate for the kitchen would last very long.

This is all repairable, but I do not want her to be so stressed out or have her continue to destroy the house... (help of some kind is needed, not sure what to do now. I've sent out emails to the rescue group and to the behaviorist at the shelter...)











5 comments:

  1. Oh, dear. :( I hope there is a good solution for this. Poor dog, and poor house! And poor intrepid heroine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no!! When my boxer was going through her chewing phase, she chewed up a couch, the floor, several shoes and my dining room set. Luckily we were able to curb that behavior within a month. But a month of chewing stuff up is a long time. Hopefully you can figure out a way to stop her soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unfortunately she is not chewing because she is teething...she is chewing because she is anxious and panicking

    ReplyDelete
  4. hugs all around. It is a difficult situation and I don't know what to do either except offer my support and love.

    ~C~

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG, I missed all these photos when we didn't have internet in Portland. I'm so sorry about how it worked out with the dog. I'm sure you'll have better luck next time.

    ReplyDelete