Thursday, February 25, 2010

Crafternoon delight - stampcarving

Yesterday I started on a re-do for my sewing business cards, which are nice, but a bit "thin" graphically... the new cards will be based on a hand carved stamp, the same design, but more substantial. I haven't done any stamp carving in a long time, it is a fun and relatively quick process; with minimal tools and materials you can print on paper or fabric. (I have taught this as a workshop; unlike cloisonne, it doesn't take a whole weekend, it makes a good 4 hour class) I have a big wall hanging that has a painted image based on my SCA heraldry in the center, and the whole background is stamped with a repeating design of... acorns (what did you expect?).

I've been trying out a new-to-me tool, the "fingertip control craft knife"... So far I'm liking it very much, not to replace the regular exacto knife for everything, but it is very comfortable to hold, with significantly less stress on the hand. I'd seen pens with that style of grip too, and am curious how they would be to write with.

Even very simple designs are suitable for adding a subtle pattern to fabric, I love having something original to work with in my home. This might be the answer to the "I didn't buy quite enough fabric for my living room curtains". I could create something suitable for border fabric which would get that project out of the stacks of fabric, and onto the living room windows where it belongs. More thought is necessary, but that project has been stalled for three years - I couldn't find fabric that worked with the color and "feel" of the woodgrain jacquard linen that I already have - I'm thinking that somewhere in my stash boxes some other linen could maybe be "encouraged" to participate. I know, I know, I have clothing that needs sewn up first, but later this year, the curtains could be finished, 'specially now that I have that wonderful serger...
~ : ♥ : ~
Lookit what I found online! a paper floor! Do you think that Acorn Cottage needs could have a paper floor in the part of the house I don't have flooring for? Would take less many years to save up for than getting another batch of flooring... Have I lost what little mind I have remaining? Tune in tomorrow, or stop by on Sunday for a Crafternoon Teaparty ...
~ : ♥ : ~
I decided that the thing to do with the Magic Card, was to restock on some kitcheny basics, and to top up my empty fridge for meals this tenday. I bought a liter of olive oil, and a pound of butter, five pounds of flour, and a two pound brick of Tillamook. Cabbage and onions, carrots and a stalk of celery, a half pound of stew beef, a sweet potato... my whole shopping list was like that. Add in the eggs from the Speckeldy Sisters and life in the kitchen is not too bad. Soon I will take the tomatoes (that were unearthed below things in the chest freezer) and turn them into canned tomato puree, which will help to fill the pantry. Thinking about possibly a few jars of ketchup as a condiment. This canning thing is fun, as long as it is in small batches...the difficulty being that most ketchup recipes are for vast quantities.
~ : ♥ : ~
There were some older, interestingly squarish, (but still suitable for modern seals,) Kerr jars at the Goodwill, without a price tag. Turns out that the only canning jars with prices are the fancy "antique" ones, all the rest are only 29¢ ...I'm going to continue keeping my eyes peeled, as it would make more sense to gradually build the jar collection that way. I only want to have jars that are easily washed. I don't understand why anyone would prefer the narrow-mouth jars.
~ : ♥ : ~
Lots of time on the bus, and in waiting rooms this past week; my Lacey Baktus - "Stratus" is coming along nicely, hooray for garter stitch and yarnovers! The gifted blue-grey yarn is just the color of really well worn jeans, or actually close to the color of my faded blue eyes; it's a silk-wool blend, and is so soft, yet really easy to knit with. (thank you Vikki) Is there any way to predict which skinny yarns will behave well, not being all splitty and unpleasant to knit? Some plied yarn is definitely nicer to work with than others...

2 comments:

  1. Hey LAdy,You are making me feel lazy over here at Hrafinstaad,I need to get busy to catch up with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whew - Sounds like you are full of inspiration !!! That vaccine must have knocked you for a loop ! Love the stamp : )

    ReplyDelete