Saturday, February 20, 2010

brought to you by the letter "A"...

Hi, my name is Alison and I am Atypical... I went to urgent care this morning, and the doctor is not sure what is up with my poor Arm. So I now get to take Antihistamines, just in case it is an Allergic reaction, And I get to take heavy duty Antibiotics, just in case it is cellulitis... Really my symptoms fit neither of those options clearly, which the only typical thing about me...

On a brighter note, I came home from med-land to find another small unexpected package! This has really been the season for unexpected gifts, my sister sent me a book gift that arrived yesterday, and today was a parcel from Salley Mavor herself (guest judge for the Felt Smackdown, and illustrator extraordinaire!) Inside were an Assortment of her cards; I'll be wanting to send them to friends, but also probably keep some to frame. It means so much to me to have another Artist who I admire so much send me a letter appreciating my efforts.

For some reason earlier this week I ended up looking online for an old friend, who I might have located - email query still out there - which brought my memory around to an old favorite Author that we both enjoyed once upon a time: John Crowley... I first read Engine Summer in 1979, the year it was first published, and it remains my favorite of his works. Though it is not his most popular tale, for me it has the very flavor of poetic psychedelic reality in a future story context, and I have not yet tired of re-reading it...
Apparently there will be a grand 25th Anniversary re-issuing of his popular little,Big. The new edition will be spectacularly illustrated by an Artist Peter Milton who I've not previously seen, but whose mysteriously beautiful artwork seems ideally suited. There is an entire website dedicated to the new edition, and it is fascinating reading, if, like me, you delight in finding out the backstorey and the thoughtcraft that goes into suchlike...


Apparently KnitPicks is looking for a web designer...what they need is beyond my meager techie ability, but maybe someone I know might find it just the thing...


I do feel a bit of relief to not be ignoring something that might cause me to die of stupidity™, so a big thankyou to my friends who chivvied me into seeking a bit of medical Advice. Of course, now I must fill out all the paperwork to apply for financial assistance to pay for said short visit to med-land, so I'll keep my fingers crossed that will work. And since the next big task is all about the paperwork anyway, I guess it is time to dig out the kitchen timer that goes "ding". Taxes need doing even more than the garden needs worked on. And I'll need the taxes for the med paperwork, and for the water bureau paperwork, and because I will be applying for food stamps... (I know I shouldn't feel so shameful, almost 20% of Oregonians are on food assistance, but it still hurts to realise I need to apply)

2 comments:

  1. How very cool. Art from Sally Malvor. I Adore her work and you have shown yourself to be a very good Admirer/Apprentice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah ! I am glad you recieved her package. Mine is not mailed yet but packed and ready to go sorry for the delay ! Please take care of yourself I hope some thing works on your arm : (

    ReplyDelete