Saturday, February 6, 2010

an assortment of small delights...


I finished the knitted octopus! Inspired by the delightful Ariadne, who knitted one as a giftie for tiny newborn Clover, this was a fast but challenging knit. If I could knit for more than a very short while at a time, it would be a one day project. Meet Kalli Marakia...

~ : ♥ : ~
Yesterday there were two packages on my doorstep when I returned home from work. There were two turtleneck shirts in a bag hanging from the doorknob, gifted by my friend Brenna. Since winter isn't quite over yet, they'll be very welcome. The other parcel was from one of my blogland acquaintances Abby. She's an artist who lives in Massachusetts, not far from where I grew up. She makes wonderful textile sculptures and writes about her work and life in While She Naps. I was able to send her some information from my vast collection of Threads magazines, and she sent me a sweet thankyou card, some pictures of her work, and a wonderful piece of Japanese fabric in a deep red, allover printed with small clamshell shapes with folk-art animals. Upon closer inspection, they are the twelve different animals of the oriental zodiac. Truly a perfect textile tidbit for Acorn Cottage!
~ : ♥ : ~
And this news just in today... my entry in the Felt Smackdown has won first place! Given the high quality of many of the entries, I wouldn't have wanted to be the one making the decisions... fortunately the judging was done by Salley Mavor herself, the author of Wee Felt Folk and an incredible talented artist and illustrator. I feel very honored that she chose my submission.

2 comments:

  1. Your octopus is delightful!

    Congrats on winning the 'Felting Smack Down'. Very deserved!

    ReplyDelete
  2. woohoo!!! Girl that is Soooooo cool. Sallie Mavor loved your work best. I took one look at it and knew that it had to win. So cute, so creative. She is one of my top 10 fav artists. So coool.

    ReplyDelete