Friday, December 18, 2009

hippo birdie to me

I made the drawing playing around on the odosketch website, (which seems to be down currently; when the site is running, you get a flash animation of the whole drawing process, which was even niftier), my drawing-with-a-trackball skills are about the level of a primary school child, but it was fun, and I like the effect.

Its been a pretty good day here at Acorn Cottage, I got many happy online birthday wishes, phone calls from friends, as well as singing telephone calls from my family, including all three of my nephews on both coasts. I am truly wealthy in having such great people in my life.

This evening my neighbors Mariana and Mark were hosting a cookie swap and singalong, and since I'd spent all day working, I took a break and went over to say hello. Now I am well supplied with assorted small cookies for any holiday visitors. Earlier, when I got home from work, I mixed up a bunch of "Open Sesames" as my contribution; they are quite tasty, vegan-friendly and used ingredients that I had on hand.

~ Open Sesames ~
Preheat the oven to 375F.
1 1/2 c flour
1 t baking powder
1/2 c + 2 T olive oil
1/2 c sesame seeds, toasted 1/2 c powdered sugar
1 t vanilla
2 T cold water
1/2 t cinammon
1/4 t nutmeg
In a bowl, combine the flour and baking powder. In another bowl, combine the oil, sesames, sugar, and vanilla. Add the flour mixture and the water alternately to the oil mix. The dough will look oily and crumbly. Divide it into portions and form into small rounds with your fingers. Set on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake about 20 min.When the cookies are lightly golden they are done. Let them cool, and enjoy!

These cookies are a kind of rich shortbread, not too sweet, and even with all the olive oil they do not taste like salad dressing! You could easily vary the spice mix. I usually divide the dough into enough pieces to make 4 dozen cookies , but then I like smallish dainty tea-cookies.
~ : ♥ : ~
And since it wouldn't be Monday without some kind of media, and I couldn't find a good rendition of the Volga Birthday song online...

1 comment:

  1. Well! Hippo Birdy Two Ewe Indeed. Solstice baby. Awesomeness...

    ReplyDelete