Sunday, August 2, 2009

I get by...

...with a little help from my friends. One of the things I have learned, finally, and its about time, in the last few years is that it is okay to ask for help. And realistically, there is no way most of us can get through life at all gracefully without helping one another.

Today my friend Megan kindly ran me over to the Urban Farm Store in her vehicle; the barrel of "Portland Layer 18% is almost empty, and toting a fifty pound sack of hen food home on the bus is not really a fun idea. We got to see the tubs full of baby chicks, and I took a look at their chicken coops - I need to build a new henhome, since there will be some new young Dominique pullets arriving here at Acorn Cottage a bit later this summer.

A little more than a week ago, Jen got me all inspired and instructed to start with knitting socks. I've finished the first sock...

and I've already learned a few things: It isn't as slow as I'd feared. I really like having the seamless toe, (which I kind of just figured out how to do on my own, I'm sure there are more graceful ways of shaping it, but I was on the bus). This particular set is coming out a bit big and a wee bit loosely knit, I'm thinking that washing, a bit of gentle fulling and blocking will help them to be closer to the right size. The biggest reason that I decided to knit my own socks was to have seam-less foot coverings: knitting stripes of two colors means that there is a "seam" of sorts where you change from one color to the other; I ran that down the sole of the sock; I can feel that seam when I walk...therefore any future socks will have solid color feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment