Wednesday, April 29, 2009

When the going gets tough, the tough turn to their stash (their fabric stash)

I'm signing on to the Wardrobe ReFashion challenge for the next four months. The part of the pledge that is important to me is this: I pledge that I shall refashion, renovate, recycle preloved items for myself for the term of my contract. I pledge that I will create or craft items of clothing for myself with my own hands in fabric, yarn or other medium for the term of my contract. You would not think that this is something I would have difficulty with.

I really do need some new clothing. Buying clothing is not an option, the money isn't there, and since my size and shape are not well served by readymade clothing (I’m short and “full figured” with narrow shoulders - I hate having the armhole halfway down my arm), over the years I have gradually increased the percentage of my garments that I make for myself. I've a whole shelf wall of fabric waiting to be cut out and sewed.

I'm feeling discouraged that I've gained weight and my tried and true sewing patterns are all for the body I had 30 pounds ago. I can barely stand the thought of doing that work over again to re-adapt the patterns, and I need to do something soon, I'm down to three jumpers, a few blouses, and one pair of overalls, all seriously wearing thin. My favorite jumper just came out of the laundry with the whole under armhole area shredded away to nothing, the fabric just wore out. I need to just put on my big girl panties and start sewing, but can't seem to get motivated. Sewing was more fun when I wasn't so spherical, I hope this will help me generate some much needed impetus to actually sew.

No comments:

Post a Comment