Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Tuesday tidbits

I'm now back to my regularly scheduled life, having finished with the taxes for the year... Lots of catching up to do here at Acorn Cottage
~ :: ~
This Sunday will be my monthly Craft-Tea party. As usual, noon till whenever, potluck snackage, all handcrafts welcome including just chatting. (Contact me if you need directions) Next month the Tea-party will be on Sunday the 17th. My mom will be here for a week in May, visiting from the East Coast. So if you are in town, come meet her and see where I inherited my craftiness from...
~ :: ~

I have had a number of inquiries in response to my Tax-time Sale. Not sure if any will turn into actual commissions, but it sure feels good to know that there are still folks out there that are interested in my work. So as a way of doing an online "happy-dance", I'll share this oldie-but-goodie of a video. When I am feeling down this one always makes me smile:

~ :: ~

Last week my friend elfrida came over to borrow my green velveteen Italian gown, and kindly offered to give me a vehicular errand run, As well as a trip to the local Costco, we went to the Rebuilding Center, where I was quite lucky and found seven tall metal wire-fence posts (perfect for extending the hen yard) and also a four foot long piece of copper pipe...
~ :: ~
The first time that my friend cathaus visited Acorn Cottage, she suggested that I use copper pipe (instead of the grey metal curtain rods) in the living room to coordinate with the sculptural curtain-rod finials. I made the finials from old roofing copper when I was living in the rose bedroom at FjordsEnd years ago, and have found a home for them in every place I've lived since. The copper pipe is not only a visual improvement, but since it is one-piece instead of an adjustable rod, the curtains slide more easily. I still need a 8 1/2 foot piece for the front window, but that will wait for another lucky find... It gives me such delight to find good uses for salvaged things, as any who know me will attest.
~ :: ~
Found a 4th adjustable office chair for my studio workshop space. Since there is a nearby Goodwill, I check in there almost every day, and eventually sometimes things I need show up. I sure was glad it wasn't raining yesterday, as I rolled the new chair down the streets to my studio. Now if I have four students in a workshop, they will all have their own adjustable chair on wheels, much better than old kitchen chairs.
~ :: ~
I've finally started on giving poor bald Coriander some hair. I tried making her a wig, but at such a small size I wasn't too successful, making something that actually would stay on her head without extra glue or stickytape. So, I decided to try actually "rooting" hair. Another trip to the Goodwill was successful in finding a hairpiece that included a long braid, which, cut into shorter pieces is being gradually attached in little really tiny plugs through her scalp. I haven't taken any pictures of the process, since it makes me feel a little queasy to keep pushing needles through her head. (I know I have too much imagination, but I keep remembering the scene in Serenity where River is in the lab before Simon rescues her...) If anyone wants info about rooting doll hair, I've been using this tutorial.
~ :: ~
Now, you will have to excuse me, I have a date with Mr Lawnmower and Mr Weedwacker. It is a nice warm dry day, and the front lawn is looking rather shaggy...

No comments:

Post a Comment