Monday, April 13, 2009

Teaparty Tidbits

Corrie has a chocolate bunny. (well really it is old Playmobil and has been in my box of odd bits for years now, but it is perfect for her.)
~ :: ~

One of the things that I did last week was make some more* candied peel. The frugal thing about candied peel is that you eat the tasty citrus first, and since citrus peels compost very poorly, using them as an ingredient is a good thing. I've decided that grapefruit peel is the best; it has a lovely texture when candied, the contrast between the sugary crust and the tender, slightly bitter inside is something that I find delectable. I'll post later this week about the process, (if anyone is interested). It is easy, but a bit tedious.
~ :: ~
What I did with some of this peel was decorate the cupcakes for today's teaparty. I doubled my usual cake recipe (in lemon, without poppyseeds) and baked it as cupcakes. Atop a simple white-lemon butter frosting, the cut bits of candied peel looked quite glittery, and the wee cakes were well received.
Today my friend Z showed up, as well as the most of the teaparty regulars, save those who were away at various events. Z brought me an amazingly huge book, a memory gift from the estate of David of Moffat, all in French, of "Emaux de Moyen Age Occidental" which I think, based on the lovely pictures, is "Enamels of the European Middle Ages. I will think of David every time I look at the pictures refer to the book; he was a generous patron of the arts and an incredibly talented artist in his own right as well. In addition, My friend Sam brought some wood hyacinth bulbs for Acorn Cottage. I am blessed with thoughtful and generous friends.
~ :: ~
Last week I ran off for an afternoon with my dear friends at Hrafinstaad; I always return home to Acorn Cottage, after visiting them, inspired and energised. They are turning their Beaverton yard into a more sustainable homeplace, and there is a wonderfully quirky colorful and artistic sensibility that pervades their home. I never know what new project they'll have been working on since my last visit...I got to see their hay bale garden beds, and the new (decorative and edible) plantings in the front yard, and the folding fence-hung clothesline. That last one I'm figuring out how to modify for my own back yard... Rois has a true eye for making a home that is beautiful, comfortable and full of intriguing artifacts and vignettes, without ever feeling cluttered. She sent me home with a vintage doll dress for Coriander. The dress is probably a Madame Alexander or Ginny doll dress from the late 50's, and is in remarkably good shape. Stylishly striped, with an attached cotton petticoat, it reminds me of the kind of dresses that I wore back then, although as a child I much preferred coveralls to skirts.

~ :: ~
* I had sent all the candied peel I made off to my father as a (belated) holiday birthday gift, and since I hope to make fruitcake next wintertime holiday season, which is certainly months away and since I adore candied peel at any time, it seemed the thing to do while citrus is still in season and relatively cheap.

2 comments:

  1. Aw shucks Miss Alison...Thanks for the kind words about our humble home here at Hrafinstaad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love your dolls - well actually all your creations! They give me huge pleasure.

    ReplyDelete