Sunday, December 14, 2008

cold and crunchy

Woke up to snow. Fortunately it was outside....so I... gave fresh unfrozen water to Hennypenny and Henrietta...froze my fingers taking her own darling Akita-self for a morning constitutional...turned on the kiln for today's class, and started breakfast cooking. Snow is pretty to look at, but I feel really sorry for all the busy artisans who are doing holiday marketplaces this weekend. (not to ignore all the myriads of homeless folks in this and all snowbound cities) The first year my friends and I attempted a holiday sale, back when I lived in Olympia, we had a blizzard instead of happy customers. Fortunately we also had a fireplace, and wood to burn...

In wintertime, especially, I wish that Acorn Cottage had a fireplace, or a teeny wood stove (like one of these lovely things maybe) Halibut Stove or this one Sardine Stove The charm alone would be delightful, not to mention the additional warmth! ...maybe, someday...

The snow is really coming down now, wind swirled and whiteblanketing all my unfinished yard tasks. Over all the leaves I hadn't yet raked from the side yard, over all the weedy bits I hadn't got to, and all the scrappy things in the backyard that were intended for fencing a new chicken yard. Now the focus is on inside workings, on thought and heart and hand together making ideas become real...
- - - - ~:~ - - - -
My neighbor Hans and his little son Alan are out walking in the snow. They stopped to make a tiny snowman from my sidewalk snow, and the dog went berserk when they came and put it atop the workbench legs on my front deck. I have funny creative neighbors (you know that I love this neighborhood) Why you may ask, do I have workbench legs on my deck? I took apart my old standing bench to use the bottom half as a base for a salad table, didn't happen this year, but wouldn't it be nifty to have salad greens growing just outside the front door next year...

No comments:

Post a Comment