Tuesday, September 23, 2008

monday musings and maunderings

Autumn is here. Time to take down the canvas roof from the front of Acorn Cottage; there should be few if any days now where sunwarmth in the front window will be excessive. The days are now, happily, cooler. This weekend, during an impulsive trip to Powells, there was a spell of very intense rain, glad I was to be indoors just then, and waited, browsing the books, 'till the squall passed....

Saturdays teaparty was curiously progressive in the temporal rather than the political sense. Only a few at a time showed up, which allowed for nice visity-talky, and over the afternoon a pleasant number of friends had come by. Rois and Chance brought over their former living room chairs, to be given a good home here. I feel so "grownup" now with a pair of matching chairs; they are small, in scale with my home, and look like a cross between Norse medieval and mid-century modern. When Bill stopped by yesterday, he commented on how Scandinavian they look, very Carl Larsson...

Chance also helped attach the Ikea shelf unit to the wall in the back bedroom, which is destined to hold stacks and stacks of fabric. It fits very nicely there, and will work even better once I get a sewing table to fit underneath, which will allow me to stop using the living room as my sewing room...

After teaparty time, we four who remained (Ian, Karyn, Jess and I) went over the river to have a tasty sushi dinner. Nothing better than an afternoon of visiting followed by more visiting sushi... Mmmm crunchy crispy dead baby cephalopods on rice...
~~~~~~~~~~~
Aaarg I hate it when I accidentally tap the wrong key and all my writing disappears
~~~~~~~~~~~
Sunday morning, on a quick trip to a "collectibles" market with Rafny I found a circular wooden "pipesmokers" rack that fits nicely on the workbench lazy susan. Now all my pliers have a home!

As I'd mentioned, Bill stopped by on his way back north, ofter dropping off the huge coronet and caps-o-maintenance shebang with the clients. I was glad to hear that they were very happy with the results of all our hard work. Bill and I chatted about projects, and teaching, briefly, then he left to go home, and I went back to my worm bin bag project. I found the plans online here. Spent the rest of Monday building the contraption, I hope my pet worms will like it. The worm-home fits easily in my tiny kitchen, and being closer to the food prep area will make dealing with the compostables simple. There was only one error in the plan supply list, you need more cordage than they call for; a bit of a pain, but not critical. I think that I can do a better job of patterning for the fabric cone that holds the worms, rather than a flat pair of triangles, I think a four-panel construction would fit the framework more neatly, and give a smoother 3-D cone-shape. Must acquire a bit more Ecospun felt and try it out...

This afternoon I wanted to see if I could get over to the Multnomah Art Center to find out about teaching possibilities. Turns out that Multnomah Village is just one bus ride away, about an hour, but no transfers. Along the way I saw the famous Voodoo Doughnuts, and later Food Front (the co-op here I hadn't seen yet, I'll need to go check it out another day, now that I know where it is).

On the way home I stopped at the Rebuilding Center, and found enough narrow flat molding bits to start working on the chalkboard project. Yup, I'm going to put chalkboard on the walls in the workroom, will be useful for teaching, and general note making, memory jogging, picture sketching goodness. I love chalkboards. When I went to Paris, I brought home two doorknobs and a child's chalkboard as souvenirs. You knew I was weird, but how many folks go to a hardware store in Paris? Even my family thought it was pretty weird, but they humored me...

No comments:

Post a Comment