Thursday, August 7, 2008

surviving the heat

Monday up till 4 AM getting the first of two heraldic champleve bits completed... Tuesday night finished assembling the caps-of-maintenance, and Bill arrived here with other (corrected) heraldic bit. Now I've a momentary day or two reprieve from the continuing enameling, the subcontracted components are not due for another week or two, along with my own current projects, so tonight I'm not standing in front of a 1500 degree oven. It looks to be a busy August, though, , so enameling workshops will resume in September. As I had suspected, the caps needed to be modified, so I will be re-working and enlarging them and adding the ermine trim.

I've currently got the dragonclaw settings in the tumbler, getting shiney... just done with their three hour stint in the new-to-me vintage tiny (best guess about a pint and a half) tumbler; they are now oh-so-shiny and beautiful, ready for the next step. I love mass finishing, and had wanted for a long time to have that capability, abrasive polishing is both extremely tedious and requires a fair bit of technological resources if you don't want to destroy your lungs. While not everything can be tumble polished, for the bits that can be it is wonderful. Big thank you to Bill for sending the little tumbler my way, and showing me how to use it....

Today I went over the river to OHSU, down by the foot of the tram, to have the first of three nerve conduction tests done on my left hand. (I've volunteered to be in a research study about magnets and carpal tunnel) The doctors there did a much better job of testing than the tests I had twelve years ago, made sure to tell me before each part of the test what was coming next, which made the process more tolerable. I mean, it isn't exactly fun having electrical current sent through your body, I certainly wouldn't do it on my own just for grins...(it is an "interesting"sensation but not one I like). The bad/good news is that yes I do have significant carpal tunnel in my left hand (well duh!), and that my impairment is within the range that they are looking for in the study. So I get to tape a quarter-size rare earth magnet to my wrist every night for the next six weeks, and fill out a daily log, and have a couple more nerve conduction tests over the next 18 weeks. In the end, I might have an improved wrist, or not, but the money ($300), while not enough for surgery on my sore wrist, will be enough to get inexpensive laminate flooring for one of the two bedrooms here at Acorn Cottage... at least that is my current thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment