Tuesday, August 26, 2008

down to the wire

The closer I get to completing this project, the more tense. Every little rivet is an opportunity, for better or worse.

Here is a little tip for any interested metalworkers, who haven't already figured this out... I'm using tiny brass escutcheon pins for the rivets. They're still available in hardware stores, if you look carefully (and bring a magnet with you, some these days are brass plated steel, which wouldn't be suitable, as steel rivets are too hard for this sort of application). I anneal them before using them as rivets, so the brass is as soft as possible. They come with a nice hemispherical nailhead already formed, and if you use an upside-down nail set as a tiny anvil, you can have nice rounded rivet heads.

Doesn't look like I'll be done before sunset
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Just got a call from Greg Wilbur, who is coordinating the demos at Art In The Pearl this weekend, My time slot has been moved to Sunday afternoon. So, if anybody is in town this weekend and wants to come say hi, I'll be there from noon to 4 PM. I'm pretty sure that art demos are in the same place as last year, in the northwest corner of the fair. Bill will be doing a demo on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment