Friday, December 21, 2007

Lately it occurs to me…

Moving closer to the middle of the fifth decade...Happy 53rd birthday to me!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This year has been interesting, as in may you live in interesting times. A number of unpleasant things occurred, but none that caused me to turn away from my life in hopeless despair. I feel like I met each challenge with relative competence, and occasional humor. (Though I still cannot pass the spinach display in the produce aisle without a shudder) Perhaps this is a start of some long-asked-for internal equanimity.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Last night I found my way to the Beaverton Jade Sauna, a Korean-style women's bathhouse. As a member in good standing of the Church of the Holy Hot Water, it was wonderful to find yet another sacred site to visit on pilgrimage. Meeting with two dear women friends there made the evening enjoyably social as well as blissfully relaxing.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Today, I stopped off to see my neighbor Marianna, and give her a little holiday gift. She showed me the big project she's been working on, remodeling their bathroom... Imagine walls covered in warm creamy-golden stone tiles, with a narrow border up high of darker, textured toast colored stones. Imagine using big 12' square floor tiles cut in half diagonally as triangular shelves in the corners of the shower enclosure. And best of all, imagine the floor covered with smooth flat manycolored pebbles (about the size of hen eggs, only flat) with deep golden colored grout. I told her how beautiful this space was, and how amazing a job she had done. The creativity hidden within apparently ordinary little houses is so inspiring... (and I want to copy the idea of a pebble-tiled floor)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
On the way home last night, I noticed yesterday that amidst their lighted holiday display, the house on the corner has two wreaths that are actually peace symbols. They are a little lost amidst the "reindeer pulling a decorated red convertible through the garden bed" but seeing that old familiar sign made me smile. And in honor of my not so misspent youth, I'll send one of my 2008 calendars to the first respondent with the correct answer as to why the "chicken foot in a circle" is/was a symbol of peace…
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Happy solstice to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment