Monday, November 5, 2007

Where have all the bay nuts gone? long time passing...

I loves little Acorn Cottage, but sometimes I am very frustrated by the left-behind mis-repaired fewmets of the previous owners… When we last saw our plucky heroine, she was clapping her tiny hands with glee, for the washing machine had returned from its long vacation under the carport.

(Somehow, in the last few months, she had forgotten what a piece of crap the washer really is) While the appliance does actually wash clothing, it only functions when set on extra-big-load, which uses the maximum amount of water possible. When set on any lower setting, it somehow cleverly splashes lots of water out from under the lid to the washing compartment. There is absolutely no information in any of my trusty fixit guidebooks that cover this scenario. And despite my best efforts to adjust the damnthing, it has an amazingly loud whump-whump of a spin cycle. It chattered the locking casters on its new platform round and about, and skitters sideways when the cycle shuts down. Maybe if I can roll the platform onto some of the spare foam mat, it will stop dancing across the floor?

The good news is that all the new hoses that I attached to "Mr Noisy-spin" held up quite well, no leaking there. I am always pleased when I can replace or repair something and it actually fixes it. The bad news is that the old faucets, that deliver hot and cold water to the washer, seem to have degraded, while the washer was on vacation. The cold faucet, which I capped when I couldn't it get to turn off properly after the demolition, seems to be working just fine when attached to the washer. The hot water faucet however, which shut off nicely months ago, when activated, is now leaking from around the handle. (note: after leaving the tap shut back down overnight the leak seems to have stopped, unless the tap is opened again) While the usual setting for the wash cycle is cold/cold, it would be nice to have the option to wash with warm or hot water for the occasional things that want such treatment; but I can't have a leaky hot water tap dripping, or "there will be no money in what is called the till…" (extra points to anyone who identifies the quote).

Ugh! and harrumph! Soooo…I will probably have to replace these faucets also. At least there is no sheetrock to remove, everything is just out there in the open along the east wall of the workroom, and the washer and dryer can just be rolled out of the way…

I would dearly love a shiny frontloader, which would use about a third of the water, and a lot less electricity as well. Maybe someday…which is not to say that I am not grateful to have a washer, and a home to keep it in, I'd just like something that was a little bit more earth-friendly...
It seems that the current phase in sewing-work-land is window coverings. I have two different projects in the works, and a consult over in SW next week. Can't complain, work is good…
Having finished the computer part, I'm now doing the decorative drawing on the flyer for our holiday studio sale; hope to have the master copies ready by tomorrow evening. While this all would be easier with the correct software, and a scanner and a printer that were functional, I can manage it the old fashioned way, and my local copy shop is only about a mile or two down Lombard. (For those who are interested, the sale will be on November 30th and December1st. More info soon, hoping for pictures and a website too.)
Later today, I must plant the garlic and the walking onions…who knows when we will have another nice afternoon. I did take a big chunk of the weekend off to do some recreational window shopping, and browsed the goodies over at Powells on Hawthorne. Hence the busy day today... remember…"we lead full and interesting lives… by choice"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No, I'm not talking about some odd coastal or oceanic cult, but the little nuts that fall from the myrtlewood, (aka pepperwood, California laurel) trees. The larger trees, a relative of the avocado, produces many small nuts in the autumn. The nuts fall from the tree, encased in green seed coat with a thinner or thicker fleshy layer covering the actual seed. this is where the resemblance to the avocado is most obvious. Last year, I was able to scavenge many of these nuts, enough to almost fill a 5 gallon jar after husking and heat treating them. This year I picked up a few, at the beginning of October, but there haven't been many more. Oh there are a few nuts under the biggest tree in my neighborhood, but they need to be gathered when freshly fallen in order to be good to eat after the necessary processing. I'd hoped to put some away for gifties and trade goods for those of my friends who like them... they end up tasting a bit like espresso beans, and you don't want to eat more than a few at any one time, as they are also a stimulant.

No comments:

Post a Comment