Sunday, October 7, 2007

said I going to a party party

Well, I'm back from my Saturday jaunt north, to deliver the balance of the sewing I've been doing for Jen, and the corner flashing, which was unavailable in Olympia, that I picked up for their current house maintenance project...intended only to daytrip up to visit the Menagery, though Bill's (low-key) birthday festivities were for the whole weekend.

Ended up deciding to stay ovenight and drive home in the AM, as there was promised art project time after dinner. Well all who know me know that I am rather hopelessly fond of just such things...

The delivered sewing fit well, and I came away with more sewing to do for Cathy. We took a trip to the Coop, which had young! organic ginger in the produce case. I've been looking unsuccessfully for such hearabouts in PDX. Now I can move forward on the canning japanese-style pickled sushi ginger project; I have purple shiso growing in one of the planter boxes, and that herb is what is "supposed to" give the sushi ginger that lovely pink color, so this week I'll be trying out a new recipie. If it works well, I'll post the results.

We then returned home to cook various dinner and dessertly things; BIll had asked that he not have to cook his birthday dinner... Jen made a delicious spicy potato and bacon soup, which we had with some of the heirloom tomatoes from the hoop house in the backyard. There were more different kinds and colors of salt on the table than i have ever seen anywhere. Cathy made an apple crisp, I tried applesauce pudding, and Jen made an apple cake with plum and ginger bits studded throughout. Add a bit of vanilla ice cream, and a tasty dinner was had by all.

The art project turned out to be oil painting. Bill is a quite accomplished painter, and has had paintings in various gallery shows.His website has images of some of his paintings I've somehow never in all my years even tried oil painting, and now have not only a much greater appreciation of what it takes to do well, but have discovered yet another way-too-much-fun medium. It is just as addictive as knitting, or beadmaking; we all ended up painting till after 1 in the morning! Here is the little picture that I came home with...


Unfortunately I could not justify spending all day Sunday up north also, though the plan there was to fire up the big brick outdoor oven over at Blue Heron Bakery and bake pizza in the evening; the plaintive call of Acorn Cottage and my two hens drew me back home.

And just for fun, here is a picture of the Japanese anemone blooming near my front door:

No comments:

Post a Comment