Wednesday, September 19, 2007

a time to every purpose

I 'm back from not posting much lately... have been feeling rather discouraged, amidst all the busyness of my life, about how little actually gets accomplished. I have been busy, really, taught two weekend enameling workshops up in Seattle, and did a demo at Art in the Pearl, but poor little Acorn Cottage is still in a state of major demolishment, and I am tugging at the proverbial bootstraps to maintain balance. The more disorganised my environment is, the harder it is for me to focus and actually get things done, (I tend to run away to the Library, or Powells, and immerse myself in imaginary worlds), and until progress happens in rebuilding the house, organisation is very difficult... and around... and around.

I realised about a month ago that some where in my heart-of-hearts I kept hoping imagining wishing that some magical hero would show up on a white horse with a chopsaw and saddlebags full of tools, to put things right. Well guess what, that hero is out on the prairie somewhere, along with the pony that I wished for when I was eight, and a whole bunch of other phantasms, and if things are going to be rebuilt, I'd best get off my duff and begin the work...

The first and always challenge is to figure out what needs to happen first, and then to break it into small enough pieces that it is actually doable. With the workroom, I decided that I could begin with the far wall, which will eventually become the Storage Wall of Crafty Goodness. The window trim project has taken about a month, but is now mostly complete, with two narrow bulletin boards on either side. I just found two long bits of 1x6 to use for pseudo-baseboards, so once those are painted, and I figure out how to attach them to the lower wall above the concrete, I can paint the wall, and start the process of attaching the shelving I have and creating more shelving. All the wood for this has come from the ReBuilding Center, and the bulletin boards are Homasote(a condensed recycled paper board) pieces, which I had cut to size at Mr Plywood.

So here is what the wall looked like before all the demolition, but with almost everything in the room already moved out 'cos i knew that demolition was imminent. The wood structure is the stand that my kiln (now on workbench in living room) usually lives on...

And here is the room in the middle of demolition...

Here is how the wall looks now, about a third of the way towards what it needs to become...

I think I can...I think I can....

No comments:

Post a Comment