Sunday, September 2, 2007

in which the answer to a mystery is uncovered

Yesterday some impulse caused me to look down as I walked through my garden gate. Holy Shit! My hens have been laying eggs after all... very sneaky! An enormous mounded nest under the arborvitae next to the downspout. There were seventeen eggs! Sadly, I had to throw them all away, as there is, of course, no way to know how old they are. I never saw the hens anywhere near that shrubbery, and it is right next to the pathway into my backyard!

So, Ive gone to the craft store and brought home a wooden egg, which will live in the nest box in their henhouse. Maybe that will give them the idea that the nest box is where eggs belong? After all, I have been "stealing" the eggs from the nest box for months, no wonder if they decided to find a safer place...

1 comment:

  1. I assume you've now learned the trick of testing eggs for freshness by floating them in water?

    ReplyDelete